Monday, September 28, 2026

David Brainerd and unfolding mysteries

Edwards edited and published Brainerd's missionary journal, including these which were among his last words:

On the morning of the next day, being Lord's Day, October 4, as my daughter Jerusha (who chiefly tended him) came into the room, he looked on her very pleasantly and said, "Dear Jerusha, are you willing to part with me? I am quite willing to part with you: I am willing to part with all my friends: I am willing to part with my dear brother John; although I love him the best of any creature living: I have committed him and all my friends to God, and can leave them with God. Though, if I thought I should not see you and be happy with you in another world, I could not bear to part with you. But we shall spend an happy eternity together!"

In the evening, as one came into the room with a Bible in her hand, he expressed himself thus; "Oh, that dear book! that lovely book! I shall soon see it opened! The mysteries that are in it, and the mysteries of God's Providence, will be all unfolded!"

_____


Behold, my beloved brethren, I will unfold this mystery unto you;

(Jacob 4:18)

Now, I unfold unto you a mystery; nevertheless, there are many mysteries which are kept, that no one knoweth them save God himself. 
(Alma 40:3)

14 And from time to time, as shall be manifested by the Comforter, receive revelations to unfold the mysteries of the kingdom;
(Doctrine and Covenants 90:14)



No comments:

Post a Comment