Sunday, February 14, 2021

Hearts were knit together

Life of David Brainerd

Lord's Day, August 25.——{Journal. Preached in the forenoon from Luke 15:3-7. There being a multitude of white people present, I made an address to them at the close of my discourse to the Indians: but could not so much as keep them orderly; for scores of them kept walking and gazing about, and behaved more indecently than any Indians I ever addressed; and a view of their abusive conduct so sunk my spirits that I could scarce go on with my work.

In the afternoon, discoursed from Revelation 3:20; at which time the Indians behaved seriously, though many others were vain.

Afterwards, baptized twenty-five persons of the Indians, fifteen adults and ten children. Most of the adults I have comfortable reason to hope are renewed persons, and there was not one of them but what I entertained some hopes of in that respect, though the case of two or three of them appeared more doubtful.

After the crowd of spectators was gone, I called the baptized persons together and discoursed to them in particular, at the same time inviting others to attend, minded them of the solemn obligations they were now under to live to God, warned them of the evil and dreadful consequences of careless living, especially after this public profession of Christianity; gave them directions for their future conduct, and encouraged them to watchfulness and devotion by setting before them the comfort and happy conclusion of a religious life. 

This was a desirable and sweet season indeed! Their hearts were engaged and cheerful in duty, and they rejoiced that they had in a public and solemn manner dedicated themselves to God. Love seemed to reign among them! They took each other by the hand with tenderness and affection, as if their hearts were knit together, while I was discoursing to them: And all their deportment toward each other was such that a serious spectator might justly be excited to cry out with admiration, "Behold, how they love one another" Sundry of the other Indians, at seeing and hearing these things, were much affected and wept bitterly, longing to be partakers of the same joy and comfort that these discovered by their very countenances as well as conduct.}

I rode to my lodgings in the evening, blessing the Lord for his gracious visitation of the Indians and the soul-refreshing things I had seen the day past amongst them, and praying that God would still carry on his divine work among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment