Monday, November 16, 2020

Sinners inquiring the way to Zion

 From the Life of David Brainerd:


Wednesday, November 30. Pursued my study of Indian: But was very weak and disordered in body, and was troubled in mind at the barrenness of the day, that I had done so little for God. 

I had some enlargement in prayer at night. Oh, a barn, or stable, hedge, or any other place, is truly desirable if God is there! 

Sometimes, of late, my hopes of Zion's prosperity are more raised than they were in the summer past. My soul seems to confide in God, that he will yet "show forth his salvation" Psalms 96:2 to his people, and make Zion the "joy of the whole earth" Psalms 48:2

Oh, "how excellent is the loving kindness of the Lord"  Psalms 36:7! My soul sometimes inwardly exults at the lively thoughts of what God has already done for his Church, and what "mine eyes have seen of the salvation of God" Isaiah 52:10

'Tis sweet to hear nothing but spiritual discourse from God's children; and sinners inquiring the way to Zion, saying, "what shall we do?" Acts 2:37, etc. Oh, that I may see more of this blessed work!

_____

Note:

In the KJV, "loving kindness" is spelled as one word, "lovingkindness." Here Brainerd/Edwards wrote it as two words, the way it appears in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants.

No comments:

Post a Comment